On the evening of June 10, 2013, CFPD held the 2012 Annual Report Presentation at the Herman Prior Centre with 65 in attendance.
During 2012, the Endowment Fund grew by $546,209 to create a new balance of $5,326,475. We appreciate the new and continued support of our donors; 12 new funds were created.
Grants valued at $125,978 were awarded to various non-profit organizations. The undesignated endowment funds support the grantmaking program where registered charities submit an application for funding for projects. This year, 66% of the grants awarded to organizations had applied for funding. The other 34% of the grants, which includes awards and bursaries, were supported by earnings from designated funds. For details, please read the annual report.
After reviewing the 2012 highlights, grants and bursaries were awarded and donors were recognized. Grants valued at $25,000, which were approved in April 2013, were presented to five organizations.
Tupper Street Family Resource Centre
Chair Laurie Bjornson received $6,000 to go towards renovations for new centre.
North Memorial School
Principal Michelle Laidlaw accepted a $4,000 cheque for kitchen appliances for the Lunch and Snack program area.
Trinity United Church
Fund-raising Co-Chair Larry Muirhead accepted $8,000 to help with renovations to the west wing which will accommodate Portage Ukrainian Nursery School.
Portage la Prairie Heritage
President Robert Jones received $2,000 to help with the cost of restoring the north door and windows.
Centennial Community Club
Grants Chair Brad McMurray presented a cheque for $5,000 to Pam McGregor-Tarr to help cover the cost of a new rooftop heating unit.
CFPD manages 30 bursary funds of which 25 funds support bursaries for graduating Portage Collegiate students. These are presented at the PCI Awards Ceremonies in June. The other 5 bursary funds are for students out of high school who are pursuing a post-secondary education in any year of studies in their chosen field. The following students selected by the CFPD Awards Committee received a $1,000 bursary each for total of $6,000.
Lorraine Rae Bursary for Education
Keelin Horning is in her second year of education at the University of Winnipeg.
Jody Fulton Memorial Bursary for Commercial Pilot Training
Christopher McCallister is working towards his commercial pilot’s license at the Mountain City Aviation in Morden.
Portage Community Development Corporation Bursary for Business
Samuel Davidson is going into his third year at the Asper School of Business to receive his Bachelor of Commerce Degree, Majoring in Human Resources.
Dr. Harvey Hassard Memorial Bursary for Medical Care
Carly Hamilton will be in her 4th year of Dentistry at the University of Manitoba and
Kerri Hofer is in her 3rd year of the Bachelor of Nursing program at the Brandon University.
Dr. Donald William Rae Bursary for Medical Care
Delaney Page (missing from picture) is in her 3rd year of the Bachelor of Nursing Program at the University of Manitoba.
OAKVILLE AND DISTRICT COMMUNITY ENDOWMENT Fund
As of December 31, the Oakville and District Community Endowment Fund received $11,580 in donations creating a Fund balance of $134,632. The earnings generated by the Fund are used to support an annual grant to the Oakville Community Club.
This year the Club President Larry Hodgson accepted $4,510
from Oakville Rep Len Essay to be used in the Oakville area. To date the Club has received $19,993 of earning from the Oakville Endowment Fund.
Youth in Philanthropy Program
The Kids in Philanthropy program involving students from grade 4 to 8 has completed its second year. Four schools,(La Verendrye, Yellowquill, École Arthur Meighen and North Breeze Colony School,) participated in the program and handed out $2,500 in grants to local charities at school assemblies. Students and project coordinators from Yellowquill and École Arthur Meighen were at the Annual Report Presentation to share their experiences.
The Foundation’s Mission Statement says it all: to enhance and enrich the quality of life in Portage la Prairie and District by supporting and promoting philanthropy through endowment building, donor services, grantmaking and community leadership. “Although that is simply stated, said CFPD Chair Barney Christianson, “it is rich in meaning and requires a multi-faceted effort on the part of all concerned. Who are those “all concerned”? The grant recipients who help us identify the needs within our community, the donors whose funds make it possible and the volunteers whose efforts put it all together – in other words, our Community.”